Posted to rec.food.cooking
serene serene is offline

Default Bare minimum pantry necessities?

Christine Dabney wrote:

> I was just going over all this in my mind, and I was wondering what
> you all think of as your essential pantry: those ingredients that you
> use a lot and want to always have on hand. I am not thinking of
> exhaustive lists...in some cases less is more. I find myself coming
> around to this more and more.

For James's breakfasts:

bread or potatoes
either eggs or cottage cheese
coffee beans
butter or margarine

Baking basics:

bread flour
yeast
salt
sugar
cocoa powder
baking soda and powder

Cooking basics

beans (especially garbanzos, pintos, black beans, and lentils, but
also red lentils, chana dal, and small white beans)
rice, several kinds
potatoes
fresh veggies, all sorts, but especially garlic and onions
pasta, any kind
pepper (salt is already on the list)

With those things and some fresh fruit, we're good to go.

Optional, but highly desired:

good olive oil
vinegar of some kind
lemons