Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Bare minimum pantry necessities?

blake wrote on Wed, 05 Mar 2008 16:22:20 GMT:

??>> blake wrote on Tue, 04 Mar 2008 18:32:45 GMT:
??>>
??>>>> When I buy soy sauce, I buy a gallon can and it keeps
??>>>> pretty well at room temperature for months being opened
??>>>> to fill the table bottle.
??>>>>
??>>>> James Silverton
??>>
bm>>> i used to do that as well, but then the pricing at giant
bm>>> changed so the price per quart was just about the same
bm>>> for the can as the smaller bottle. but soy definitely
bm>>> keeps.
??>>
??>> Giant's pricing can be a bit weird, usually higher priced
??>> than other chains altho' recently they were selling leeks
??>> by the bunch for the price other chains charged per pound.
??>> I weighed a bunch and it was pretty close to 2 lbs. I buy
??>> my soy sauce in a Chinese supermarket.
??>>
??>> James Silverton

bm> yeah, lately i've been buying pearl river bridge brand at
bm> the asian market. it's pretty cheap even in the bottle
bm> (500 ml, 16.9 oz.).

bm> i got a bottle of mushroom soy as well, but i haven't
bm> figured out what to use it for.

Don't know about that but "Vegetarian Oyster Sauce" is made from
mushrooms.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations: