Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Joe Cilinceon Joe Cilinceon is offline

Default Burgers and Meatballs with Breadcrumbs

Corey Richardson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 16:27:25 -0700, Joseph Littleshoes
> > wrote:
>
>> Corey Richardson wrote:
>>
>>> Why oh why do some people insist that homemade burgers and meatballs
>>> should have breadcrumbs in them?
>>>
>>> Just to bulk them out? So that they're spongy? What?
>>>
>>> Breadcrumbs have some place in a meatloaf, but none in a burger or
>>> meatball, IMHO.
>>>
>>> What say you?

I can't remember ever adding bread crumbs to burgers but do with meat balls
(Italian) and meat loaf but there I also use 2 to 1 ratio of beef to pork. I
generally use the Italian bread crumbs but have used others as well as fresh
bread that has been spiced up. Now with Swedish meat balls that are made a
lot smaller I add just a bit of plan bread crumbs and the main reason as
someone earlier stated is as a binder. Bread crumbs and eggs are a great
binder and really don't add a great deal to the taste. Oh and I also
sometimes use sautéed onions in my meat balls as well as meat loaf, but then
that is the way I like it.

--

Joe Cilinceon