Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking
Lynn from Fargo Lynn from Fargo is offline

Default Burgers and Meatballs with Breadcrumbs

On Aug 14, 10:13*am, Nancy2 > wrote:
> On Aug 13, 6:04*pm, Corey Richardson >
> wrote:
>
> > Why oh why do some people insist that homemade burgers and meatballs
> > should have breadcrumbs in them?

> > Just to bulk them out? So that they're spongy? What?

> > Breadcrumbs have some place in a meatloaf, but none in a burger or
> > meatball, IMHO.

> > What say you?

> I never put breadcrumbs in burgers, but always use some bread soaked
> in milk in meatballs - helps them hang together better than just egg,
> although I put an egg in the mix, too.
>
> My mom put breadcrumbs in burgers when I was little because we grew up
> in the war years, and it was a way to make 1 pound of ground beef make
> six burgers (one for each of us). *Later, she didn't do that at all.
>
> N.

I agree with Nancy. You can (and maybe should) make burgers to cook
medium - medium rare with out adding anything, but meatballs are
invariably cooked until well done. Naked meatballs turn out to be be
just hard lumps.
Lynn in Fargo
Disclaimer: Known to have used those frozen Armour meatballs in the
bag.