Posted to rec.food.cooking
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default Cooking related gifts?

On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> wrote:

>"Gloria P" > wrote in message
>> Nancy2 wrote:

>>> ...a gift card to a kitchen supply place - either something like
>>> Williams-Sonoma (which wants top dollar for everything) or a
>>> restaurant supply where your dollar will buy more, and probably make
>>> the ardent cook even more ardent.
>>>
>>> N.

>> It's hard to buy kitchen gifts for other people unless you know
>> --what they have
>> --what their cooking style is
>> --what they need
>> --what they want.
>>
>> Someone who has it all might be as thrilled with pretty new dish towels as
>> another person would be with a KA or a breadmaker. It's all relative.
>> Unless a new gadget is truly earth shattering, someone with limited space
>> probably will send it to a charity resale shop within 6 months.
>>
>> When in doubt or on a budget, homemade food is usually appreciated.
>>
>> gloria p

>It depends on the cleanliness and skill of the cook. There are gifts of
>food I get that we don't eat. Often the only time someone cooks is at
>holiday time to make that "special" gift. And it is usually awful.
>Janet

The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
gal who wears a 36 C.