Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cooking related gifts?

"brooklyn1" wrote
> "Janet Bostwick" wrote:

>>I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
>>gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had
>>newly
>>discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
>>gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'

> I suppose that would depend on the occasion... for most occasions I'd
> not consider the typical $10 gadget a suitable gift... maybe include
> the unique gadget with the gift certificate.

Yes, would depend on the occasion/circumstances. Say a work gift exchange
where they usually set a limit (often 10$, never over 20$ in the one's I've
been in). Then you get creative to find something within the range.

Here's a foodie gift I did when in Sasebo Japan. (rules were 10$ and not
much over or under) I drew the Dept Heads name. He has a mega sweet tooth.
I took a pretty tin from some cookies and stuck some velcro on the back (we
were on a ship, this was so it wouldnt roll around). I filled it with
1000yen (a little under 10$) worth of pretty individually wrapped japanese
candies.

The person who drew my name knew I loved fancy flavored coffees so got me an
assortment of those small vacumn sealed packs (the kind where 1 pack is
about right for a 12 cup machine, and with my 6 cup little model was perfect
to make 2 pots each).