Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick[_2_] Janet Bostwick[_2_] is offline

Default Cooking related gifts?

"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 3 Oct 2009 09:03:11 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"
> > wrote:
>

>>"brooklyn1" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 2 Oct 2009 22:22:52 -0600, "Janet Bostwick"

>>snip
>>> The best "theme" gift is always a gift certificate for a store that
>>> specializes in products within that theme... if you're buying a gift
>>> for someone who cooks the last thing you want to do is to choose their
>>> cookware... buying a cook a pot is tantamount to buying a 34 B for a
>>> gal who wears a 36 C.
>>>

>>I'd say worse than than. IMO, pot and pan selection is very personal. A
>>gadget is a little different. If the gadget was something that I had
>>newly
>>discovered and really liked and I knew the recipient very well, I'd give a
>>gadget. With the caveat, 'try this, see what you think.'
>>Janet
>>

> I suppose that would depend on the occasion... for most occasions I'd
> not consider the typical $10 gadget a suitable gift... maybe include
> the unique gadget with the gift certificate.

Read gadget with quotes around it. Most that I'm imagining would be $25
plus (at least) because it would be something new on the market. A friend
and I do this every Christmas. That way we get to try stuff that we
wouldn't spend the money on for ourselves because it was a 'gadget.' It's
hard to buy for someone that you've known for a long time. In this kind of
situation, the gift is truly a remembrance of friendship and it can't be
represented by money but by really spending time searching something out.
Otherwise you can go the soulless Harry and David route -- I'd rather have a
gift certificate.
Janet
Janet