Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Cooking related gifts?

"jmcquown" wrote

> I never try to give foodies cooking-related gifts. IMHO, it's a bad idea.
> It's sort of like giving your wife a toaster for your wedding anniversary

Ah, but note that her question is pretty open ended. I will always get my
husband Don, something 'foodie' and he will get me something. This in
addition to other things ;-)

We keep it simple. He gets something he knows he would like to cook with
and thinks I will enjoy too, and I do the same. Since we both know what we
have already, it's pretty easy.

Generally if he flubs one, it's a cook book but he's gotten me lots of good
ones too.

> But seriously, most people who love to cook will already have most
> everything they want. And if they don't, whatever you give them isn't
> going to be exactly what they would have bought for themselves. They'll
> be gracious and say "thank you". Then it will go in the closet for 20
> years or be offered up at a future garage sale. If you want to give what
> you call "ardent cooks" a gift, give them a gift certificate from Penzeys.
> Or order a gift box of spices
> http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penze...ift_Boxes.html

Actually, I'd advise against the gift box of spices. Most foodies will have
them already. I'd be happy with the gift certificate though.
(Glancing at spice cabinet, I have over 100 though a few are dead and need
replacement)