Posted to rec.food.cooking
Omelet[_7_] Omelet[_7_] is offline

Default Pot for cooking brisket (and related questions)

In article >,
"Steve Freides" > wrote:

> First, is there any problem or danger with aluminum foil being used this
> way, e.g., does it leech anything, do we need to be sure we get a "heavy
> duty" kind, etc.? I know I should start by just looking at the
> appearance of the aluminum foil when the thing's done cooking, but my
> wife seems always to be the person to take it out of the oven - I'll try
> to get to doing this today (one is cooking upstairs now).
>
> Second, I have noticed what I'd best describe as a tingly or slightly
> numb feeling in my gums after eating this stuff - tasty as it is, it has
> me a little concerned, but I'm the only one in the family who has this
> reaction. My wife thinks it may just be some herb/spice in the tomato
> sauce that I'm sensitive to.
>
> Third, is there a kind of pot that would do this job without the
> addition of aluminum foil? I don't know if we'd want an actual airtight
> seal as I suspect the lid might still, as we currently have it, pop up
> to release pressure, but I don't know since I've never sat and stared at
> the thing through the oven door while it's cooking.
>
> Thanks in advance, sorry for the rambling questions.
>
> -S-

Tomatoes are acidic and it's been my personal experience that aluminum
foil tends to be dissolved somewhat when it comes in contact with them.
Makes for a nasty, bitter (and some think slightly toxic) blackish, foul
tasting compound.

If there is any way you can cook in steel or glass, that would be best.
Or even heavily coated aluminum so the metal does not come in contact
with it.

Personally, I slow roast brisket either in the BBQ pit (without the
tomato) or in my enamel lined electric roaster.

Hope this helps! :-)

Tomato sauce can be cooked separately and added later, but I do
understand that it's not quite the same effect.
--
Peace! Om