Posted to rec.food.cooking
cshenk cshenk is offline

Default Does sushi come from Japan

"Steve Pope" wrote
> cshenk wrote:

>>> A large fraction of "sushi grade" fish is trans-shipped through Tokyo,
>>> where there is gigantic wholesale sushi-fish market.

>>Interesting but not supported by facts.

> Look up Tsukiji Fish Market.

Big market, doesn't happen to be involved in fish sold in the USA.

>>I'd be very suprised if any part of a sushi bought in the USA or Canada,
>>came from Japan other than perhaps the nori *might*.

> In Berkeley, Tokyo Fish Market sells all sorts of sushi grade fish
> labeled as being from Japan, Vietnam, and New Zealand, as well as more
> nearby places like Hawaii and Canada. I seem to recall a lot of the
> farmed fish is from Japan.

Ah, snooty Berkely. Paying markup for frozen sashimi grade from Tokyo. Got
it. The farmed fish would be from the Philippenes largely.

> (Note that fish from, say, Vietnam may have made a stopover
> in Tokyo. I believe only the country of origin must be identified,
> not intermediate countries.)

Steve, the local Sasebo Japan fish market I used if you account for the size
of the town, is bigger percentage wise. Because of it's shipping location,
you are far more likely to have had fish shipped from there if you ever had
any fish from actual Japan. Look at a map, Sasebo is a more likely stopover
for most of what you mention. Tokyo for one *is on the wrong side* of a
long large island. What they do from Korea and Vietnam is take a speed boat
to Fukuoka (3-6 hours depending on location) then train to Sasebo (2 hours)
and ship out.