Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default Cutting butter into biscuits using microwave.

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:46:55 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> On 4/16/2011 1:48 PM, sf wrote:
> >
> > Have you ever made pie crust in the food processor? I freeze or at
> > least partially freeze the butter first anyway. Same with biscuits,
> > use the FP to cut in the butter and they turn out fantastic.
> >

> Do you have a recipe for this method? I haven't had a full-sized FP for
> a while and someone just gave me one.

I usually cut the stick of butter into cubes and then freeze. How
frozen it gets depends on how much time I have, but it works out even
if the butter is refrigerator cold. The point is that your hands
aren't warming up the butter, so it all works out. I've also decided
that the water amount is off because I have to add at least one extra
tablespoon, usually more than that every time or the finished dough is
too dry. I have added parmesan cheese when making chicken pot pie and
it's delicious.

Food Processor Buttery Flaky Pie Crust (Pte brisée)

Ingredients:

1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour

1/4 teaspoon salt

(½ t sugar, or more for pte sucrée)

1/2 cup unsalted butter, chilled and diced

1/4 cup ice water

*add 1/4c grated parmesan cheese to the flour and salt, increase water
to 1/3c

Directions

1. Measure the flour and into the processor with the regular blade
attached. Add the unsalted butter, cut into cubes. (Your fat should
be frozen or very cold. You may vary the proportions, or use some
lard, but the total should be 8 tablespoons.) Pulse three times with
three counts per pulse to mix the ingredients lightly.

2. With the motor running, pour ice water into the work bowl just
until the dough just starts to get noticeably crumbly. Don't wait
until it is a big clump or it will be way too wet and will turn out
tough.

3. Stop the machine, dump the crumbly dough into a bowl, and gather
the dough into a ball with your hand. you can squeeze it a bit to
make it stick together. If it just won't form a ball, add a tiny bit
more water. (Note that if you are making crust in the food processor,
you will use less water than most recipes call for.)

4. Wrap your dough ball in wax paper or plastic wrap and chill it
about 30 minutes in the refrigerator. Roll it out on a cool surface
if you can. Then follow your pie recipe for baking.