Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_12_] dsi1[_12_] is offline

Default Okay Sky-all about Avocados, esp. from Hawaii

On 8/2/2011 2:09 PM, pure kona wrote:
>> Heck, I didn't even know there were other avocado varieties
>> other than Haas& Calvado. Sky

> I had to ask a friend (Ken Love) who knows everything about Hawaiian
> fruit and here is what he said about Calvo (The California PAC that
> keeps Hawaii's avocados from going anywhere!): "They do to the active
> marketing in Calif. where they spend over $1.4 million per year to
> market Hass from Calif. Mexico and Chile -- According to the Mexican
> D of Ag, Calif growers own 68% of the Mex fields and some 42% of the
> Chilean fields. (This is what I was told 3 years ago)
> Calvo is only the marketing company not a type of avocado. -- There
> are 1411 types that were listed in a data base at UC Riverside, in CA.
> We have over 200 named types in Kona alone with hundreds of other
> seedlings and types on other islands."
> *********
> Here is an easy place to see lots of different Hawaiian avocados
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/AVOVAR/index.html
>
> And here is Ken Love's fabulous poster of Hawaii's avocados! WARNING!
> It is 39 inches by 27, so it is hard to see on a computer, but it is
> beautiful- so if you want one to decorate your kitchen wall by placing
> it in a frame: get one here
> http://www.hawaiifruit.net/Avocado.pdf
> I am sure Ken would be happy to send you one for a small sum. The guy
> works extremely hard to promote Hawaii's abundant fruit. He's an
> angel.
>
> FYI, now we have Sharwil avocados dropping from our tree, and in the
> winter, we have super-delicious Kahaluu Avocados.
>
> Okay, there you go. We live in avocado heaven.

I get big and beautiful avocados that people bring to this office that
they grow in their yard. Some are green and some are black and some are
round and some are pear shaped. A lot of the locals here call it a
"pear" which is kind of strange but whatever they call it, it's
appreciated greatly.

When I go into the Safeway, the ones they sell are so pitiful looking
that I'd have to be pretty desperate to ever purchase a store fruit.