Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 19/02/2013 9:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> There are a lot of worthy charities to which I contribute but it seems
> that the requests for money tend to come earlier and earlier each year.
> This amounts to a sneaky attempt to get a larger annual contribution. I
> wonder if they realize that if I put the requests aside I will probably
> forget them completely.

I must be jaded but I think that most of it has become about making
money for the companies contracted to do the fund raising than about
raising money for the charity. I give to the Cancer Society, and I
started getting calls from the liver cancer society, pancreatic cancer
society, skin cancer society, lymphoma society, brain cancer society......
More than 50% of my mail is beg letters. Today it was a beg letter from
one of the cancer societies and a big envelope full of cards and address
stickers from the Multiple Sclerosis Society with a recommended
donation, worth about ten times as much as the material that I got for
free because it is unsolicited.