Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 2/20/2013 6:27 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "graham" > wrote in message
>>
>> "James Silverton" > wrote in message
>>> There are a lot of worthy charities to which I contribute but it
>>> seems that the requests for money tend to come earlier and earlier
>>> each year. This amounts to a sneaky attempt to get a larger annual
>>> contribution. I wonder if they realize that if I put the requests
>>> aside I will probably forget them completely.
>>>

>> What annoys me is that once I give to a charity, it then pesters me
>> to give every few weeks after that. I gave to one charity last year,
>> and it e-mailed me *the following day* asking me to give again.

> Yes it is really aggressive here. A few years ago we had a bit of
> luck on the lottery and gave a substantial amount to a charity. They
> have been on our backs ever since. We do give now but we do so
> anonymously.

Yes, that bugs me too! /I have a working *p*/rinciple that if I notice
that I am getting frequent solicicitations, I count them. Once they
reach six I send the charity a letter informing them that I will not
contribute the next year. Sometimes it seems to work.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.