Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 2/20/2013 7:26 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 2/19/2013 9:54 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
>
>> I must be jaded but I think that most of it has become about making
>> money for the companies contracted to do the fund raising than about
>> raising money for the charity.

> That's not jaded, that's a fact. The fund raising companies can legally
> keep just about the whole amount. You have to donate directly to the
> charity if you want to make sure you're not paying some scammy business.
>
> nancy

There is an organization called Charity Watch that tracks the amount
that actually goes to the real work of charities and publishes the
results in a newsletter three times a year. I think the survey is quite
reliable. An interesting thing is that putative Native American
charities are a class that often get bad marks.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not" in Reply To.