Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Charities

On 19/02/2013 9:21 PM, James Silverton wrote:
> There are a lot of worthy charities to which I contribute but it seems
> that the requests for money tend to come earlier and earlier each year.
> This amounts to a sneaky attempt to get a larger annual contribution. I
> wonder if they realize that if I put the requests aside I will probably
> forget them completely.

I am seeing a new and disturbing trend..... checking out in a grocery
store or at the liquor store and being asked if you want to donate to
XYZ charity. When it first started it was $1, then they started asking
if you want to donate $2. A couple weeks ago I was at the grocery store
and the cashier asked the person ahead of me if he wanted to donate $5.
I was not at all surprised that he said no. She did not ask me, but I
was left wondering if it was a legitimate charity or a sociological or
marketing experiment and they were looking for the cut off point, the
point where being pass from being intimidated by being asked directly
and being outraged by the amount demanded.