Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Charities

On 2/20/2013 6:01 PM, Dave Smith wrote:
> On 20/02/2013 5:55 PM, Roy wrote:
>
>>> They always name the charity and they are not obscure.
>>>

>> ==
>> My SIL worked for W**M*** for a few months and she resented management
>> nattering to her about forgetting to ask customers about making a
>> donation
>> to THEIR favorite charity. Some customers were quite rude and said NO so
>> my SIL hesitated to ask.

I don't have a problem saying a polite "No", but I can well imagine some
folks might get rude about it. It shouldn't be part of a WM employee's
job to solicit for charity. What, Wally World doesn't have enough money
to donate without making employees hit up the customers?

> Maybe it's time for customers to start being more forceful about our
> objection. I have no qualms about telling them no, but I am sure that a
> lot of others are easily intimidated.

Intimidated by a checkout clerk? Will wonders never cease!

> I don't mind them having some sort
> of jar or something for people to put their change in for the charity of
> the week,

I've got no problem there, either. I often throw a handful of change in
those jars *if* it's for a cause I care about. (That would usually be
something animal-welfare related.)

> I had a hard enough time with a charity that I worked with
> when they wanted me to donate. I told them flat out. I am giving you
> 10-15 hours a week of my time. I should not have to pay to do that.

You were a volunteer! They shouldn't also expect your money.

Jill