Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Charities

On 2/21/2013 8:56 AM, James Silverton wrote:
> On 2/20/2013 9:19 PM, Cheryl wrote:
>> On 2/20/2013 7:11 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>>> How to alienate donors: use all the money they sent you on constant
>>> mailings and free labels. Just so you know you threw money down a
>>> hole.

>> I don't understand that tactic, either. And the ones that send out
>> self addressed stamped envelopes. Not the postage paid one that they
>> are only charged for when they're used, but real stamps.

> I've seen those too of course and I can't remember whether they use real
> 44 cent stamps or the special charity ones.

I don't remember the type of stamps but I'm sure they get a bulk-mail
discount. Many years ago I worked for an insurance company and we'd
send out mass mailings (it group insurance, so it went to subscribers at
the annual re-enrollment, not blind solicitations). In order to do bulk
mail we had to pre-sort everything, first by state then by zip code.
IIRC we got the bulk rate because we did all the sorting work.

Jill