Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cheri[_3_] Cheri[_3_] is offline

Default Charities

"Kalmia" > wrote in message
On Thursday, February 21, 2013 2:59:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
> Up until a couple of years ago, I would have agreed with you - however
>
> when I looked at the bottom line of our local food bank and saw that
>
> the woman running it takes home $140,000 + per year

I hope you TOLD them you were done. I'm sure she works hard, but 140?
OutRAGEous.

I vol at a food pantry run by a church and there is absolutely no salary
paid. A guy donates the money for the gas to run the van down to the pickup
point, and all the shelvers and baggers etc are vols. Church members are
even asked to donate their used plastic groc bags so the recips can bring
the stuff home. One gal cooks a big lunch meal for the vols who work there
when the pantry is open to the public. And she draws upon the pantries
food. I have never seen a penny change hands.

It's pretty sad - some of the recips ask sheepishly if we have a roll of
t.t. to give them, or even a disposable razor.

I've never been paid for volunteering, I wouldn't accept it if offered.

Cheri