Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Sig. Stamps (WAS: Charities)

On 2/21/2013 1:10 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Feb 2013 09:33:19 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> On 2/21/2013 8:59 AM, James Silverton wrote:
>>>>
>>> I have an ink stamp; they don't cost much, last for a long time and
>>> don't have me looking for those tacky stickers.
>>>
>>> --

>> ink stamps: Not related to charities, but my mother used to bemoan
>> the fact her handwriting had gotten so bad her signature was sometimes
>> almost illegible. After my dad died I drove her to the lawyer's office
>> to sign some papers. She made the same comment. I suggested she have a
>> signature stamp made. She asked is that legal? The lawyer said of
>> course it's legal.
>>
>> People get checks like that all the time. Before the days of direct
>> deposit you can be darn sure the head of a large company wasn't
>> personally signing everyones' paycheck. They had a machine for that.
>> Sig. stamps if it was a smaller company.
>>
>> I may go the signature stamp route myself. I type much more than I
>> write so my handwriting is starting to get a little sloppy.

> If you can type as well as you claim (120 wpm) there is no way your
> handwriting is shaky.

Did I say it was shaky? Mom's was shaky... she was in her 80's. I just
don't write longhand very often and my handwriting was never that great
to begin with. Besides, you *know* I can type fast... remember the days
of yore when you'd sometimes drop into the rfc chat room? That was
real-time typing, even allowing for my backspacing to correct for typos
or change the way I wrote something.

And a rubber stamp sig is not always legal or
> acceptible unless notarized, and even then many institutions won't
> acept a rubber stamp sig... they'll require you give someone power of
> attorny to sign for you.

I'm not talking about things that require a notary and witnesses.
Presidents in this country have been using an auto-pen to sign routine
correspondence for a very long time. (Before the auto-pen, Presidents
often had their secretaries sign correspondence for them.) I'm talking
about routine every day things.

And yes, you can use a signature stamp on personal checks, not that I
write many checks these days.

Jill