Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Sig. Stamps (WAS: Charities)

On 2/24/2013 3:49 PM, Brooklyn1 wrote:
>> here are always the weirdos. Back in the days of writing checks for
>> >purchases I had the unfortunate luck to have to give a check to someone
>> >who actually took my phone number off of the check and called me at home
>> >a day or two later. I was stunned.

> Why do you need your phone number printed on your checks? I stopped
> having my phone number printed on my checks about the time rotary
> phones were replaced with keypad phones. I don't have my address
> printed on my checks either, I have my POBox printed instead... why
> help the scammers...

Not everyone has a PO Box. But no, I have never had my phone number
printed on my checks. Back in the day (before computers asked for your
phone number in some places) some stores would still ask for your phone
number and write it on the check.

I'm still shredding 20 years worth of my parents' cancelled checks.
They had their SSN's printed on them. Even though those SSN's have been
out of circulation for years some nefarious person might try to use them.

Jill