Posted to rec.food.cooking
JBurns JBurns is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 10:50:07 -0500, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:13:17 -0600, Janet Bostwick wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 23:05:29 -0500, Sqwertz >
>> wrote:
>> snip
>>>
>>>Which is fine with me, We get really cheap Mexican avocados here
>>>sometimes 4 or 5 for $1. Average price is $.50 for a small-medium
>>>avocado. Large ones are $1. You can bet the Hawaiian variety won't
>>>be cheap. Heck, even the CA ones are pretty expensive.
>>>

>> Every time that I have bought one of the small ones from supermarket,
>> the pit has been large in relation to overall size and the flavor of
>> the fruit meat disappointing.

>They are hit or miss (60% hit, 40% miss). Sometimes the pits are as
>small as black olive, other times they can take up 1/3rd the space.
>My last batch of Costco avocados had huge pits whereas they're usually
>just average sized.
>
>-sw

Wow, I was surprised to read that. We get a few different varities
here, but I have never had one with a small stone. They (the stone)
are always the size of a walnut or larger. Genrally we have very good
quality fruit.

JB