Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf[_9_] sf[_9_] is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On Thu, 12 Sep 2013 09:42:07 -0400, Nancy Young
> wrote:

> On 9/12/2013 8:10 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
> > pure kona wrote:
> >> There is hope. Found this today in the Hawaii news

> > Forgive my ignorance, but why would the USDA ever _not_ allow Hawaiian
> > avocados to be sold on the mainland? What happened to free commerce and
> > all that? It's not like they're even another country.

> Cea will correct me if I'm wrong, just searching on Sharwil avocados
> (wondering if they are coming to my state) brought up a fruit fly
> issue.

We have to consider Hawaii a foreign country when it comes to the
insect & plant disease issues. At least it's easy to isolate them due
to the island nature of the place, unlike infestations that happen in
the contiguous lower 48.