Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On 9/12/2013 8:16 PM, sf wrote:

> IMO, fruit flies are the least of any problems... because fruit flies
> come in from everywhere as it is.

Evidently, we have species of fruit flies that are not found on the
mainland. Probably the most dangerous one for the mainland is the
Mediterranean fruit fly. My understanding is that CA growers are scared
to death of these things. There's also other beetles, weevils, and
critter larvae that Hawaii tries to contain. There is a separate
inspection line for the U.S. Department of Agriculture. I'd sure like to
carry some fruit to the mainland but mostly, that's not allowed. That's
the breaks.