Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On 9/12/2013 9:42 AM, Nancy Young wrote:
> On 9/12/2013 8:10 AM, Steve Freides wrote:
>> pure kona wrote:
>>> There is hope. Found this today in the Hawaii news

>> Forgive my ignorance, but why would the USDA ever _not_ allow Hawaiian
>> avocados to be sold on the mainland? What happened to free commerce and
>> all that? It's not like they're even another country.

> Cea will correct me if I'm wrong, just searching on Sharwil avocados
> (wondering if they are coming to my state) brought up a fruit fly
> issue.
>
> nancy

According to what Steve posted, "Distribution
limited to the following States: CO, CT, DE, DC, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS,
KY, ME, MD, MA, MI, MN, MO, MT, NE, NH, NJ, NY, ND, OH, PA, RI, SD,
UT, VT, VA, WA, WV, WI, and WY."

It looks like you'll be able to find Sharwil's. I won't. I haven't
been buying avocados this year. The price of the avocados I see at
Publix make me just keep on walking.

Jill