Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On 9/13/2013 8:33 AM, sf wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Sep 2013 06:41:09 -0400, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> I haven't
>> been buying avocados this year. The price of the avocados I see at
>> Publix make me just keep on walking.

> The price is appalling: 4 for $5 last week. The claim on the sign is
> "large" but they are quite small.

Yes, they're small. I used to buy Hass avocados for my mother. She
loved them. Somehow I managed to choose them just perfectly ripe. I'm
not expert about that. I was lucky.

Which reminds me. Mom loved avocados so much she ordered a bikini (swim
suit) for me when I was about sixteen. She saw an ad for [probably
California] avocados in a "women's magazine". They had an order form
for a swimsuit to promote avocados. She sent off for it. Weird but true.

I didn't understand avocados when I was sixteen. I didn't taste an
avocado until I was in my 30's. But Mom bought me an avocado bikini. LOL

Jill