Posted to rec.food.cooking
Nancy Young[_6_] Nancy Young[_6_] is offline

Default USDA to let Hawaii ship avocados to mainland US

On 9/15/2013 9:31 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Oh, that minty hospital green I remember from the military hospital
>> of my youth. I'm left with a serious aversion to it. I painted my
>> bedroom three times because the sage I wanted looked minty when it
>> was up. Shudder.

> I think I know the awful green that was so popular so many years ago.

I remember that Sears had premixed paint colors ... blue, green and
off white ... probably a yellow, too.

I think that's where everyone got that minty-yet-depressing shade.

> I've repainted many houses to get rid of that color as new people buy
> the homes. The main problem with that was that walls and woodwork
> were painted the same green.

I know exactly what you mean, I can see it in my mind's eye. It's
a pet peeve of mine.

When we bought this place, our bedroom was pumpkin orange. Off
a pumpkin, it's not a great color, and yes, all the woodwork was
the same color. The view out the window framed in this unappealing
orange.

> Doing the woodwork the same color was the
> problem that made it look drab.
>
> I switched to a green in my living room many years ago and I still
> love it. I mixed the color myself

Ha, same as my bedroom now, we'd never be able to duplicate the
color.

> and I describe it as "wintergreen,"
> thinking of wintergreen tic-tac breath mints. It's close to that.
> It's a "beachy" color and I live at the beach. What makes it nice
> though is to have lots of white in the room too. My living room has
> white ceiling and woodwork...and also LOTS of white
> furniture...picture frames, bookshelves, chairs, etc. 15 or more
> years now and I still like it. You keep it tidy and it always looks
> so fresh and open and.....beachy.

That sounds really nice. I approve. (laugh)

nancy