Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindy Fuller[_2_] Cindy Fuller[_2_] is offline

Default Ezell's Chicken

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Alan" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Julie Bove" wrote in message ...

> >> This reminds me of a 100% true story from one of my literally hundreds of
> >> visits to Harold's Chicken Shack in Chicago, the local chain with the
> >> animated neon sign of a guy (must be Harold) wielding a hatchet & chasing
> >> a chicken. This woman takes her order back to the bullet proof window
> >> rotating thingy and says she wants a refund - because "these wings are
> >> GREASY." She didn't say they're *too* greasy - just greasy. People
> >> started
> >> smiling and looking at each other and then some guy said "man, you're at
> >> the wrong place!" Then everyone burst out laughing. The woman didn't
> >> get
> >> a refund.
> >>
> >> My problem with Ezell's is it's not greasy enough but that's probably
> >> because my baseline fried chicken is Harold's. And, they have some
> >> freakishly large wings - not quite sure what that's all about.

> > Ha! That's funny! They put the strips in one of those paper containers
> > in
> > a paper bag but there was so much grease that it soaked clear through the
> > container. The entire bottom of the paper bag was soaked and it was
> > starting to creep up the sides. I was also amazed at how little food
> > there
> > was. Only six tiny pieces of chicken that seemed to be mostly breading.
> > They also listed the 3 piece as a serving. Perhaps for a toddler. Here I
> > thought I had enough food for two days. Nope! There's perhaps 1/2 a
> > serving of slaw left and 2 rolls. I did buy extra rolls because the
> > claimed
> > to be so good.
> >
> > And the mac and cheese didn't get eaten. Daughter said it was nasty. I
> > had
> > asked her if she liked it before she had taken a bite of it. It did look
> > rather gluey.
> >
> > I was also amazed at how much precooked chicken they had under the warming
> > tray. Put me right off!
> >
> > I did pick up a menu and see that they do sandwiches and salads. I didn't
> > see those listed on the menu in the store. Perhaps I will get those next
> > time. If there is a next time. I did like the beans but... I paid about
> > $32 for a meal for two, with no drinks. I can do better than that at a
> > full
> > service restaurant with drinks and good vegetables!
> >
> > That's interesting. I once weighed them at home. The half pound order was
> > half pound. Not too much breading. Could be dependent upon which location
> > we went to.

> I also don't know if this is the real Ezell's or not. There was one by my
> parent's house with the same or similar menu. Owner's last name was Ezell
> but he was not related to the chain. He was forced to shut down. But he
> had been in business for many years. Place used to be a KFC and is now an
> Indian place.

The original Ezell's is in the Central District, across the street from
Garfield High School. Ezell is no longer with Ezell's, but he's opened
up his own joint on Lake City Way just south of 145th St. The SO stopped
at the latter a month or so ago.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller