Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dining Minimum - Charities? Got the Scoop

On 12/11/2013 3:57 PM, sf wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 13:25:08 -0500, jmcquown >
> wrote:
>
>> Now I'm wondering if the requests for the employee holiday gift fund
>> could have been applied towards the dining minimum. I found it rather
>> odd they were requesting money to give the island employees holiday
>> bonuses. Final talley, they'd collected over $75,000 so they could
>> split it and cut bonus checks for the landscapers (not that they take
>> care of our yards), security guards, the folks who work in accounting,
>> etc. Allegedly divided equally.
>>
>> Were these out-of-pocket donations? Or could that have been deducted
>> from the dining minimum, too? I sent an email asking about it. I'm
>> waiting to hear back.

> They're sounding like Walmart and them asking customers to contribute
> to Thanksgiving baskets for needy employees! Why don't they pay their
> employees enough to tide them through the year, so you can tip those
> you may wish to tip on your own?

That was kind of my thinking about it, sf. I was told it was strictly
out of pocket donations. But really, why do I need to help them pay
their employees? The whole operation makes enough money to pay these
people well. If some individuals did something helpful I'd be happy to
tip them - separately.

Jill