Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dining Minimum - Charities? Got the Scoop

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2013 17:52:38 -0500, Susan wrote:
>
>> On 12/11/2013 3:01 PM, Ophelia wrote:
>>> Logical I suppose, but I am sure some hungry folk would love it

>> Yeah, and in the U.S., leftover food from restaurants, grocery stores,
>> farms, catered events are collected and distributed by numerous hunger
>> relief organizations like this one; there is no regulation against it:

> Other *local* hunger relief organizations may be able to distribute
> and serve food without ingredient statements.
>
> But no food bank that accepts funds or foods from the USDA, or
> participates in Federally-funded nutrition programs may distribute
> food to be eaten at home that does not have ingredient labels - with
> the exception of unprocessed single ingredient farm products. Note
> that most individual food *pantries* are exempt from most of the USDA
> requirements since they work at the local level and are not in
> contracts with the USDA.
>
> It's laws like that require the USDA to print up convoluted labels
> like these for their "USDA pizzas":
>
> http://www.flickr.com/photos/sqwertz...ream/lightbox/
>
> There is nothing in those links to Island Harvest that suggests they
> accept or distribute food without ingredient statements.
>
> -sw

Here there are a lot of churches that give out food. They might take
something without an ingredient statement. I know the owner of a Jimmy
John's said she was giving her leftover bread to a church until they told
her to stop because she had no bags for it. Just how she was transporting
the stuff with no bags, I don't want to know. But it is also possible that
she could have printed the ingredient statement from their website or some
such thing.