Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Dining Minimum - Charities? Got the Scoop

In article >, Gary > wrote:

>Someone correct me if I'm wrong but there's no law requiring private
>companies to pay extra benefits for full time employees. Unionized
>workers might get this but unions have also run many manufacturers
>offshore. They were a good thing once but have since demanded too
>much.

Absolutely right. However, companies can have a policy of paying
generous benefits to full-time employees, yet somehow manage
not to have very many full-time employees.

>I find it interesting how many here have singled out Walmart to
>boycott.
>Do a google search for salary (store of your choice) and you'll see
>that Walmart actually pays more per hour than KMart and Target....and
>many other retail stores and fast food places. Real nice restaurants
>often pay even less than minimum wage and let the customers make up
>for it with tips.

You can thank the federal government for that. The federal
minimum wage for tipped employees is $2.13.

Cindy Hamilton