Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown[_2_] jmcquown[_2_] is offline

Default Dining Minimum - Charities? Got the Scoop

On 12/13/2013 1:12 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> It is a disgrace if they are saying their employees are so needy they
>>> are asking for donations!!! Surely they can't mean that they don't pay
>>> enough so want you to make up the difference???? If so I simply can't
>>> believe the cheek!
>>>

>> That's how it sounds to me, Ophelia. They instituted a 20% service
>> charge on all meals a couple of years ago, so that's an automatic
>> "tip" for the servers, bartenders and kitchen staff. Chances are the
>> servers are only earning the federal minumum ($2.13/hr) but the cooks
>> and other kitchen staff make more.
>>
>> In fact, the last time I was in there to pick up my fish & chips (and
>> got no chips, bloody fools!), the guy who gave me the free glass of
>> wine said he'd been working there since the Club opened. That would
>> mean he's been there since the 1980s. No doubt he could have moved on
>> if he wanted to.
>>
>> I can't think of a single reason why anyone would need to be ponying
>> up money for them to give employee bonuses.

> Oh I can! More money out of your pocket, more in the pockets of the
> shareholders!

You're a cynic. So am I. I would gladly tip an employee personally
who did something special to help me out somehow. I would NOT write a
check to the DIC and hope and pray they actually divide that money
equally among the lesser paid (?) employees.

Jill
Jill