Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ed Pawlowski Ed Pawlowski is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On Fri, 3 Jul 2015 23:49:05 -0700, "Julie Bove"
> wrote:

>Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
>that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
>yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
>kind does.

What is special about it? Yes, the label does say to refrigerate, but
I never have. A bottle lasts about 3 months here and is just fine. It
is very acidic and stays fresh. The refrigeration's label is put there
by lawyers, not food scientists.

>I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for this
>heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.
>
>http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/ar...on-appetit-way
>
>I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon Fresh
>has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day. However, I
>am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce because
>none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be BBQ
>sauce.

It is similar to BBQ sauce in that it has a tomato base but I'd think
of it more as a ketchup sauce.

>What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm not
>thinking of.

Look for some sort of crockpot recipe. I has some beef cubes that were
cooked in a roughly half and half ketchup and mustard and it was
tender and pretty good. I don't know what other ingredients were in
it though.