Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get into
> that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
> yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
> kind does.
>
> I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for this
> heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.
>
> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/ar...up-in-your-bri
> sket-recipe-the-bon-appetit-way
>
> I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon Fresh
> has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day. However, I
> am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce because
> none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be BBQ
> sauce.
>
> An obvious choice would be meatloaf but I have some in the freezer still and
> it also uses the oven.
>
> Then there are Sloppy Joes. None of us really like those much but I do find
> that making them from scratch is a bit better than Manwich and that ilk.
>
> I did mention the BBQ sauce. Don't want to go there or cocktail sauce.
>
> I thought that I made some sort of chicken some years ago that called for a
> lot of ketchup but I have no idea what it was called.
>
> And I have made those Crockpot meatballs with the ketchup and grape jelly.
> My friend swore that they were always wolfed down at his company parties but
> they were not wolfed down here.
>
> I know I have made something with those little wienies in the Crockpot and
> sometimes my husband will eat those. I can't remember what they had in them
> though. I want to say mostly ketchup with a little mustard.
>
> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm not
> thinking of.

Make a double batch of these beans:

Isaac's BBQ Beans
-------

Ingredients:

4 slices bacon, diced
1 cup onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 28 oz. can Brick Oven or B&M baked beans, (see notes)
1 1/4 cups catsup
1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar, packed (see notes)
1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder (Colman's), don't use prepared
1 1/2 Tbsp. ground New Mexico chile, hot or mild
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar

Directions:

Sauté bacon until crisp; add onion and cook 'till transparent. Add all
other ingredients except sugar (see notes) and transfer to Crockpot (or
do everything in the 'pot if yours allows it).

Crockpot on high, uncovered, until desired thickness, stirring
frequently (it won't thicken very fast if it "skins over"). About 4 hrs.
To keep longer, cover and set to low heat. Or, bake uncovered at 325 F
for 2-1/2 to 3 hours. After the beans have cooked a while, taste, and
add as much brown sugar as you like (see notes).

Keeps up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator (but not around *our* house),
but do not freeze - the beans don't like it.

Notes:

Recipe doubles just fine, and there's even a 55 oz can of Brick Oven
beans.

Made a batch today, to go with the BBQ ribs. Yum.

Isaac