Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

"isw" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> Long story short, I have two open bottles of ketchup. I won't even get
>> into
>> that saga but there you have it. And I need the refrigerator space. And
>> yes, open ketchup does need to be refrigerated these days. At least this
>> kind does.
>>
>> I also don't want to use the oven because there is no end in sight for
>> this
>> heat wave. But I did find an oven recipe that sounded interesting.
>>
>> http://www.bonappetit.com/recipes/ar...up-in-your-bri
>> sket-recipe-the-bon-appetit-way
>>
>> I don't think any of us have ever eaten brisket but I see that Amazon
>> Fresh
>> has it in grass fed so that would be an option for a cooler day.
>> However, I
>> am not sure about the sauce. I have never actually made BBQ sauce
>> because
>> none of us like it and I have a feeling that the sauce might in fact be
>> BBQ
>> sauce.
>>
>> An obvious choice would be meatloaf but I have some in the freezer still
>> and
>> it also uses the oven.
>>
>> Then there are Sloppy Joes. None of us really like those much but I do
>> find
>> that making them from scratch is a bit better than Manwich and that ilk.
>>
>> I did mention the BBQ sauce. Don't want to go there or cocktail sauce.
>>
>> I thought that I made some sort of chicken some years ago that called for
>> lot of ketchup but I have no idea what it was called.
>>
>> And I have made those Crockpot meatballs with the ketchup and grape
>> jelly.
>> My friend swore that they were always wolfed down at his company parties
>> but
>> they were not wolfed down here.
>>
>> I know I have made something with those little wienies in the Crockpot
>> and
>> sometimes my husband will eat those. I can't remember what they had in
>> them
>> though. I want to say mostly ketchup with a little mustard.
>>
>> What am I missing here? There has got to be something obvious that I'm
>> not
>> thinking of.

> Make a double batch of these beans:
>

> Isaac's BBQ Beans
> -------
>
> Ingredients:
>
> 4 slices bacon, diced
> 1 cup onion, diced
> 1 clove garlic, minced
> 1 28 oz. can Brick Oven or B&M baked beans, (see notes)
> 1 1/4 cups catsup
> 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. dark brown sugar, packed (see notes)
> 1 1/2 tsp. mustard powder (Colman's), don't use prepared
> 1 1/2 Tbsp. ground New Mexico chile, hot or mild
> 1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
>
> Directions:

> [...]

Thanks but as I said, we don't eat BBQ. I love most beans. Just not BBQ
ones. I did think of baked beans but my nephew and I are the only ones who
really love my beans. I put tons of onions in them. Husband and daughter
prefer canned beans. Tastewise I am fine with those. It's just that I can
make them with fewer carbs.