Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On 7/7/2015 9:48 PM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> dsi1, please ttop talking about the "mainland" as if Hawaii is not part
>>> of the USA. It is. Maybe you should venture out.

>> I've lived on the mainland and have seen how things are. I'm all too
>> familiar with how it all goes down there. The reality is that Hawaii and
>> the mainland are worlds apart.

> Oh look, someone else being told what they can call things. Is this
> going to be the next Big Thing around here?
>
> It is not normal for an island to call a large land to which it is not
> attached, 'The Mainland'? I am beginning to think some people will use
> ANYTHING to bully others into doing things the way THEY like.
> Ridiculous!! It really is getting out of hand. Maybe they should get a
> taste of it.

You are correct - this is a pretty common thing that humans tend to do.
Somebody that lives on the mainland probably wouldn't grasp the concept.
We call the largest island in this chain of islands the "big island." We
call the island we're on the "rock." That big land mass that's East of
us the "mainland." It all seems so natural...