Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On Friday, July 10, 2015 at 11:15:00 AM UTC-4, Ophelia wrote:
> "Gary" > wrote in message ...
> > Ophelia wrote:
> >>
> >> Myself I put loads on the fish, chips
> >> and mushy peas as well, but then I grew up with it)

> > What is your recipe for "mushy peas?" My daughter loved my mom's
> > "mushy peas" but they were just canned peas cooked to death. Is your
> > version different?

> No so long as they are canned marrowfat peas At any rate, not new peas.

And here's some translation (for those of us who have no idea what marrowfat
peas are), courtesy of Wikipedia.

Marrowfat peas are green mature peas that have been allowed to dry out naturally in the field, rather than be harvested whilst still young like the normal garden pea. They are used to make mushy peas and also the snack food wasabi peas.

Marrowfat is a traditional, starchy, large-seeded variety of pea
(Pisum sativum var. medullare.) The word was coined around 1730 from marrow + fat.

....[i]mmature peas (and in snow peas the tender pod as well) are used as a vegetable, fresh, frozen or canned.

Cindy Hamilton