Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On 7/10/2015 1:24 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "dsi1" > wrote in message

>>> portions >>>> were

>>> nasty-ass

>>> batter to

>>> need a
>>>
>>> True Nor I (I've been using it for too long) but that is what
>>> the recipe is. Try it with beer, it seems to be very popular, but it
>>> makes
>>> it too strong for us. Oh yes and add a bit of salt too. I cook mine in
>>> light oil at about 175c for between 5 and 10 mins depending on the
>>> thickness
>>> of the fish. Experiment to see how you like it best.
>>>
>>> Report back if you get around to it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/

>> I shall report back to you. BTW, I did have some fish tonight. No
>> chips though. Oddly enough, it was at a place called "Hot Dog on a
>> Stick." They serve a great English-style fried fish. I could have
>> ordered French fries with that but instead, I had the fish with a most
>> unexpected thing - fried zucchini. Normally, I would never order
>> zucchini over potatoes but a large spear of battered and fried
>> zucchini is a most wonderful thing.
>>
>> This is served with a generous portion of tartar sauce and ranch
>> dressing. Unfortunately, there was no malt vinegar anywhere to be
>> seen. Beats me why not. They probably don't realize they're serving
>> great fish in the English style or maybe they don't want to go down
>> that road. The place is unique in that they specialize in real
>> lemonade made from fresh lemons. This makes a good foil for the fried
>> food.
>>
>> Normally I don't ever go to Hot Dog on a Stick because they make those
>> poor young women wear uniforms that have to be the most degrading fast
>> food uniforms ever and, let's face it, chances are slim that one is
>> not going to feel a little sick after having a platter consisting
>> entirely of fried food. OTOH, I'm just darned pleased that I went
>> there.
>>
>> http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/hot-d...aw 53bC24QULQ
>>

> Jolly good) btw if I were you, I would try the malt vinegar on chips
> first before using it on the fish. Myself I put loads on the fish,
> chips and mushy peas as well, but then I grew up with it)

I'll pick up a bottle the next time I go shopping.

Speaking of condiments, bought some chicken the other day to take back
to the office because chicken is the only thing the guy that watches the
office when I'm not there will eat and I feel the need to feed him
because I just pay him peanuts. Well, more like peanut shells anyway -
hee hee.

Anyway, it came with biscuits so I asked the girl it I could have some
honey for the biscuits. She got a weird blank look on her face and
proceeded to reach under the counter and grabbed a big handful of
packets and put it in a bag. I thought that was an awful lot of honey
for 4 biscuits but then she proceeded to reach under there again to grab
another big handful of packets and put them in the bag. I thought that
was a rather odd thing to do. She kept on grabbing more stuff under the
counter 2 more times. I left carrying a bag full of strawberry and grape
jelly, honey, and ketchup. What - ketchup on a biscuit? She must have
thought I was Donald Trump!