Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_17_] dsi1[_17_] is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 5:16:46 AM UTC-10, sf wrote:
> On Sun, 12 Jul 2015 22:39:10 -0700 (PDT), dsi1 <>
> wrote:
>
> > The fried rice included pastele sausage

> This is the first time I've heard of pastele sausage. Is it a brand
> name or a type of sausage? Pastele seems to be a Puerto Rican stew
> that is made with or without sausage. The post that indicated it
> might be Portuguese ended up being a taste test of various brands of
> linguiça (which is one of my favorite sausages).
>
> I also found recipes for pastele sausage. One of them indicated that
> "banana" is actually plantain. Is that true?
> http://www.ilovehawaiianfoodrecipes....ipes/pasteles/
>
> --
>
> sf

The pastele is a Puerto Rican tamale except the masa is replaced with grated green plantain and it's wrapped in a banana leaf instead of corn husks. The pastele sausage is made by a local sausage company and sorta copies the taste of a pastele in a sausage. It gets worse - we also have a pastele stew that is sorta supposed to taste like a pastele but I can't say if they make that in Puerto Rico.

http://tastyislandhawaii.com/2007/07...rizo-sausages/