Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_15_] dsi1[_15_] is offline

Default Foods that use a lot of ketchup

On 7/13/2015 9:15 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> > wrote in message
>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 06:48:11 -0700, sf > wrote:
>>
>>> On Mon, 13 Jul 2015 09:12:28 -0400, Dave Smith

>>> I'm not a soup lover by any means, but I like bean soup and I've never
>>> had an objection to split pea. I don't know how people can say they
>>> hate a general category when they're actually talking about a premade
>>> product in a can. I will say I hate chickpeas/garbanzos/cici beans
>>> unconditionally when they are whole and I can say that because I've
>>> eaten them both canned and reconstituted dry.

>> I hate canned soup, any canned soup. I make home-made soup even
>> though there is only me and then freeze it in single portions.
>> Quickest lunch going.

> Amen! I am not denigrating anyone here, but I get so disappointed when
> I read a US recipe and so often I find condensed soup as an
> ingredient I am sure there must be many recipes without, but I mostly
> seem to find the ones that do

Cooking with condensed soup is what American cooks unabashedly did
during the 60's. I don't think it's a popular thing to do in these
modern times. OTOH, there are exceptions like green bean casserole in
which canned soup should be used to remain faithful to the traditional
recipe.

When I was I kid, I'd stuff a flank steak with canned beef vegetable
soup and braise it. It seemed like a fancy thing to do. I wouldn't do it
these days because frankly, the very idea makes me ill and besides, have
you seen the prices on flank steak these days?