Posted to rec.food.cooking
[email protected] penmart01@aol.com is offline

Default Pan size for spatchcock turkey

On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
wrote:

>Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>Big enough?

Should be more than adequate. I'll be using a 10" X 15" pan for an 11
pounder. What's important is that's it's a sturdy pan, not one of
those super silly flimsy aluminum disposables,,, I use a heavy
Farberware SS pan with an adjustable steel "V" rack. I have larger
roasting pans but they would take up too much oven space for roasting
a turkey, they are also deeper so are better suited for caseroles like
a giant lasagna... the larger the pan the poorer the oven can
circulate even heat. The turkey is placed on the bottom rack, the
very top rack is for a foil covered shallow pan for roasting sweet
potatoes in their jackets,,, sweet potatoes ooze sugar, the foil makes
clean up easy. Once the turkey is shy an hour of being done it will
share it's shelf with a large pan of kasha varnishkas, all cooked the
day before but needs reheating from the fridge.
I never buy those flimsy disposable aluminum pans... a terrible
accident waiting to happen... in fact I don't call that an accident, I
say it's an on-purpose disaster... when sturdy roasting pans are on
sale buy two, they nest for storage.
I know with absolute certainty that someone will forget so everyone
right now leave a big note on the kitchen counter to place your frozen
turkey in the fridge on the morning of the 23rd... even set an alarm
the night prior.