Posted to rec.food.cooking
Hank Rogers[_3_] Hank Rogers[_3_] is offline

Default Pan size for spatchcock turkey

wrote:
> On Wed, 20 Nov 2019 23:13:33 -0700, U.S. Janet B. >
> wrote:
>
>> On Thu, 21 Nov 2019 00:36:49 -0500, Dave >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Anyone with experience know what size of pan will be required for a
>>> 12-pound turkey? We have a large roaster (17"x13") and rack for it.
>>> Big enough?
>>>
>>> Dave

>> I don't think so, but maybe. It's going to be close. I was thinking
>> of spatch cocking a turkey of that size and only doing half. I guess
>> we'll both see.
>> Janet US

> I didn't notice spatchcock in the subject, I only read the body of the
> post and it doesn't mention spatchcock. Personally I'd never consider
> spatchcocking large poultry, It's a technique meant for small poultry
> like 3 pouund chickens. Spatchcocking a turkey will result in several
> varying thicknesses needing different cooking times. I typically buy
> roasting chickens, of 7-8 pounds and would never consider
> spatchcocking, I would roast them whole or disjoint into quarters,
> sixths, or usually eighths... then I can easily check each part for
> doneness. The only reason I roast my Thanksgiving turkey whole is it
> makes for a more traditional service... tradition is the only reason I
> roast a turkey for Thanksgiving. The more I think about it the more
> I think spatchcocking a turkey is something for the mentally ill or
> someone who has never cooked anything more than a turkey TV dinner.
> I don't much like turkey so I never buy it other than for Thanksgiving
> dinner. Even aboard ship most didn't like turkey, however it was
> prepared for tradition. If in port I'd feed over a thousand lots of
> guests... all 20 large ovens were filled with 25 lb turkeys and 25 lb
> fresh hams... the hams were devoured twice as fast. The cooking was
> easy, the difficult part was just me doing all the carving at super
> speed, but way back then I could, I'm sure I can no longer. We only
> had three cooks on board and only one on duty to prepare and serve the
> holiday meals and I always volunteered. I did all the baking and
> desserts as well. Anyone here think they can stay awake all night to
> bake pies, bread, cakes cookies, and make ice cream to feed a
> thousand+ and then first thing in the morning begin on the turkeys,
> hams, and all the sides? And I boned and tied about 30 whole hams
> before I cooked them... I bet I can still bone and tie a ham in under
> 2 minutes. Had to be boned or no way I could carve quick enough.
> Thinking back I don't know how I did it. Well no way I saved the
> bones for stock as I would now, bones all flung out my porthole into
> the sea. Since I didn't personally pay for the hams I didn't have to
> carefully trim, but still I did as it was my nature then as it is now
> not to waste food. Sometimes I still wake in the middle of the night
> thinking of how many thousands of gallons of beautiful stock I could
> [...]

Popeye, why did they throw yoose out of the Navy? Did you get caught
eating a pineapple?

You only served a few years in the galley of a small tin can over 50
years ago, during peacetime, but it still consumes your soul (if you
have one).

Too bad yoose so damn old. Nowadays, the navy lets homosexuals like
you enlist AND reenlist. It's a bad break in timing. In today's
world, you could have be Admiral Popeye Katz on the joint chiefs.