Posted to rec.food.cooking
dsi1[_2_] dsi1[_2_] is offline

Default Pan size for spatchcock turkey

On Thursday, November 21, 2019 at 11:54:57 PM UTC-10, Ophelia wrote:
> "dsi1" wrote in message
>

> On Fridays, a lot of plate lunch places on this rock will serve a Hawaiian
> luau plate that includes a lau lau, poi, lomi lomi salmon, haupia, kalua
> pig, and chicken long rice. I haven't got one of those in a while but my
> guess is somewhere on this island, someone is serving the ultimate Hawaiian
> luau plate. Perhaps I should have gotten one today.
>
> https://i.pinimg.com/originals/de/4d...d8861abc13.jpg
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0wfbOfc-Sg
>
> ====
>
> Do you eat the taro leaves, or are they just part of the cooking
> process?
>
> I'd love to try that but I can't ever see me seeing a taro leaf let
> alone using one)

The taro leaves are eminently edible - after you cook it. You wouldn't eat it without cooking it thoroughly first. You need to break down the shard-like calcium oxalate crystals otherwise, it's irritating to your mouth and throat. I have made laulau in a slow cooker. You really have to make sure it's cooked at a high enough temperature and long enough. The 4 hours that the lady was talking about seems short. I'd cook it 6 to 8 hours. OTOH, they must be using a higher heat than I do.