findel

Default Why are these Bakers Catalog starters not self perpetuating?

I ordered from the Bakers Catalog the LA-2 Pain de Campagne and LA-4 French
Sourdough Starters. A later search of this newsgroup revealed that once
these starters are activated, they are self limiting and cannot be -- or are
not supposed to be for some reason -- kept alive. If the starter is
properly fed and cared for, why can't it be kept alive? Has anyone
successfully done this? I'd be grateful if someone could enlighten me about
this.

Many thanks!

---