Anna Ault

Kenneth > wrote in message >. ..
> On 13 Nov 2004 16:41:01 -0800, (Anna
> Ault) wrote:
>
> > It is possible to maintain the starter you make from the little
> >envelopes they send you - that was how I made my first starter. Now,
> >the flavour did change a bit after a month or so, but that happens to
> >starters in my hands.

> Howdy,
>
> I believe that you would have had the same result if you
> used flour and water and none of the KA "starter."
>
> All the best,

I doubt that, if what you mean is that I would have had the same
results with making a straight flour and water starter and baking with
it. If I mix up a paste of flour and water on Sunday night at 7 pm, I
cannot expect it to leaven bread at 10 am on Monday. With the
addition of 1/4 tsp of the KA LA-4 powder, it does (and makes a
tolerable good bread, at that.)

Per the packet of this stuff I have in my fridge, it contains
Lactobacillus brevis, Lactobacillus plantarum, and Saccharomyces
cerevisiae (type San Francisco). Those are all the ingredients
listed.

Now, if what you meant is that after a month or so I would have had
the same result of the flavour changing -- absolutely. That happens
to me all the time. It's part of what I like about baking with
sourdough.

AnnaEA