Lisse Tuerie

(Anna Ault) wrote in message . com>...
> > Hi Anna,
> > Does enough of the original taste persist to make you think that your
> > starter is maintaining the original cultures from the Lalvain product?
> >
> > S. cerevisiae is of course baker's yeast, and the less surviving of
> > this the better, but the L. brevis and L. plantarum colonies, which
> > should provide the flavor in the culture, could be enjoying a new home
> > with compatible wild yeast species!
> >
> > --Lisse

> Lisse,
>
> What I noticed was that as long as I was maintaining the starter on
> the counter, and feeding it daily, it seemed to stay consistent with
> the original. I noticed a taste change after I switched to keeping it
> in the fridge - it still leavened nicely, but became fairly mild. I
> adjusted the hydration, and it soured up again nicely, though the
> taste was not quite the same. I baked off that particular starter,
> and descendants, for about three years as I recall.
>
> Anna

That makes sense Anna,
If the Lalvain microbiologists were very clever, they would have
chosen or selectively bred lactobacilli that didn't survive cold well,
so that you had to keep buying their product!

I suppose the most important question is whether the taste is
something special enough to be worth trying to keep. Can you describe
it? Did you get the no.2 or the no.4? Maybe I should order a sample,
braving the "beef traces."

--Lisse <~~~~~~~~~~~~ long-term veggie-girl