Sheldon

zxcvbob wrote:
> wrote:
> > I was going to have pot roast tomorrow, but I've changed my mind and
> > would rather have it today.
> >
> > I moved it from the freezer to the fridge last night, so it's still
> > mostly frozen. Can I pop it into the crock pot just the same? Will
> > it thaw quickly and then cook about the same between now and dinner
> > time?

> I do that frequently with an electric roaster. A crockpot will take a
> long time, so if you start it today it still may not be ready until
> breakfast tomorrow. And it may not provide enough heat to keep it from
> spoiling when it's half warm and half frozen.
>
> It might be better to put it in the oven at about 400 until it browns a
> little, then cover it and turn the heat down to 300 and continue cooking
> -- the reason being that the initial high temperature cooking will kill
> the bacteria in the meat surface to make sure it doesn't spoil when the
> outside is warm and the center still partially frozen.
>
> How was that for a non-answer? ;-)

If you're going to go through all that... lighting the oven, dirtying a
pan... may as well just finish it in the oven.

Situations like this are why no one to date has ever convinced me that
slow cookers are any more useful than an electric knife... although I
did read once where someone bought an old slow cooker from the local
Salvation Army store for $2 just so they could use it to serve hot wet
finger towels... but then I hear-tell electric knives are good for
slicing through styrofoam... so there you go, even-steven.

Sheldon