Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Default Crisco Pie Pastry

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Sun 30 Oct 2005 10:52:11a, Christine Dabney wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
>>On Sun, 30 Oct 2005 17:22:45 -0000, Mr Libido Incognito
> wrote:
>>
>>>RECIPES:
>>>CLASSIC CRISCO CRUST

>>This is NOT it
>>I googled for it..and found all these.
>>The recipe I want predates these versions.
>>
>>Christine

> Must be a really old recipe, then. The recipe that both Alan and I posted
> was originally published on the Crisco can in the early 1950s if not
> earlier.

This one doesn't specifically identify Crisco, but it sounds like the
same sort of procedure.
<http://www.cooking.com/recipes/static/recipe7739.htm>
It posits 3 1/2 fluid ounces (7 tablespoons) shortening to 2 cups flour.
They characterize it as low-fat, and compared to my butter crust, it is.

Butter Pie Crust - two 12-inch rounds
2 sticks cold butter
2 cups ap flour
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold water

But so what, if it works, it works. I don't see why more shortening (or
butter) couldn't be added to good effect.

A general rule of thumb for "traditional" crusts is approximately 1/3
cup shortening to 1 cup flour, but you'll find lots of violations of
that formula.

I've never seen pie dough made this way and I think I'll try it. Bunch
of Ginger Gold apples in the crisper just calling out to me...

Pastorio