Posted to rec.food.cooking
Karen

Default Crisco Pie Pastry

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Okay folks,
>
> I grew up making the old Crisco pie pastry recipe. My mother taught
> me. It used to be on the cans of Crisco.... It was the most
> wonderful flaky pie crust.
>
> I had this recipe in my files on my computer, and I lost it earlier
> this year when things crashed.
>
> It isn't the current recipe that Crisco publishes. It might be
> similar, but the old recipe had one mix water with part of the flour
> mixture to form a slurry and add it to the flour/Crisco mixture.
>
> I want that recipe, with the slurry method. Now I use half and half
> Crisco and butter, but I really like the slurry method that was used.
> I know the basic method, I just need the amounts of the ingredients
> and the basic proportions.
>
> Anyone got it this in their files?
>
> Christine

I emailed this recipe to Christine, and it's the one she's looking for. I'm
so glad I was able to help you out, Christine! She asked me to post it on
rfc so that everyone could see what she was talking about, so here it is:

Pastry Made with Hydrogenated Shortening - Two-Crust Pie

Pastry made be made with shortening of this kind in exactly the same way as
when using lard. However, the following recipe is almost foolproof, and the
pastry is flaky and tender:

2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted before measuring
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup water
3/4 cup shortening

Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Take out 1/3 cup of this flour and mix
with the 1/4 cup water to form a paste. Cut shortening into remaining flour
until the pieces are the size of small peas. Add flour paste to blended
shortening and flour mixture. Mix with a fork until the dough comes
together and can be shaped into a ball. Divide in half, roll out both
crusts about 1/8 inch thick.

If you are making a one crust pie by this method, use 1 1/2 cups all-purpose
flour, sifted before measuring, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 1/2 cup shortening. Take
out 1/4 cup flour and blend with 3 tablespoons water. Proceed as above.

Source: "The Betty Furness Westinghouse Cook Book", 1954

I collect old cookbooks, and this one is the most recent addition to my
collection. I was about to look through all my old cookbooks for this
recipe, and this book happened to be the first one I grabbed. <insert
Twilight Zone music here> :-)

Karen