Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

Default Crisco Pie Pastry

On 2 Nov 2005 02:37:45 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>One will be an apple-cranberry, the other a homemade mincemeat filling. I
>baked pumpkin pies last weekend as a test run for T-day. I don't think
>I've ever seen James Beard's recipe. The last pumpkin pie recipe I used I
>posted here, but I did change the spice mixture.

Here is James Beard's recipe:

Rich Pumpkin Pie

Plain pastry for 2 9-inch pie shells

2 cups mashed pumpkin (canned is ideal)
6 eggs
2 cups heavy cream
1/4 teaspoon salt
2/3 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/2 cup finely cut preserved or candied ginger
1/2 cup cognac
1/4 teaspoon mace

Fill shells with foil and beans and back at 425 degrees for 12
minutes. Remove
foil and beans. Remove pie shells from oven.

Place pumpkin in a bowl and make a well in the center. Add lightly
beaten eggs
combined with heavy cream, seasonings, cognac, and chopped ginger.
Blend
thoroughly. Correct the seasonings- you may want a spicier pie. Pour
into the
partially baked pie shells and bake at 375 degrees until the custard
is just
set.

James Beard says he prefers to serve this on the warm side...with
cognac
flavored and sweetened whipped cream.

When I have not had cognac in the house..I have made it with a good
brandy..and
it turned out well....

Christine